Wednesday 5 September 2012

Super-Obvious Observations About Pop Music #1

I have been moved more by pop songs with mediocre lyrics than by some of the finest lyric poetry ever written. But, of course: pop songs have music. The lyrics of songs have to work less hard to move us, because they stand on the shoulders of the music. Like, durr.

Except, except: the music works its affective magic in simple, broad-stroke ways; where a perfectly judged lyric by Yeats or Keats or the Beats can achieve finer, more specific, more spine-chilly effects.  Indeed, I wonder if pop lyrics that are over complicated can undermine their own impact?  Is 'Almost Blue' a more effecting song than 'Shipbuilding', and is it so because it's simpler?

1 comment:

AyenbiteOfInwyt said...

"A line will take us hours maybe;
Yet if it does not seem a moment's thought,
Our stitching and unstitching has been naught"

I think some pop lyricists have taken this notion of sprezzatura to the extreme. Des'ree managed to hide all art behind these cracking lyrics:

"I don't want to see a ghost
It's a sight that I fear most
I'd rather have a piece of toast
And watch the evening news"

But it had a bouncy tune and there's no need to worry that the lyrics have over-complicated the song. Now that I think about it context of this post, that song is pure genius